WDT’s Weather Radio alerting app for iOS optimized for VoiceOver use
Weather industry leader, Weather Decision Technologies, Inc. (WDT), recently released a completely redesigned version of its popular Weather Radio mobile application for iOS that includes enhanced accessibility for blind and low-vision users.
“No other weather app has been able to provide me such a comprehensive feature-set,” says Brian Lee, Musician. “With Weather Radio I can easily navigate from point to point within the app making it clear the app was designed with me in mind.”
Weather Radio is a life-safety app, providing patented spoken alerts when you or your pre-set locations are in an area threatened by hazardous weather. Weather Radio is the only weather app you need, allowing access to hourly, daily and extended forecast information, current radar, plus watches and warnings for up to five locations. In addition Weather Radio can now be upgraded to include lightning alerting. All alerts and navigation controls are spoken by the familiar “Samantha” voice via Apple’s VoiceOver technology.
Michael Hansen, a member of the AppleVis Editorial Team states: “As a blind person, Weather Radio’s lightning alerts are incredibly valuable to me. Instead of just listening for thunder when I know storms are in the area—or relying on someone to tell me when they see lightning—I now have a tool at my fingertips that helps me to be more independent and confident when doing outdoor activities.”
Weather Radio Features:
- Patented Alerting Engine: Weather Radio provides more accurate alerts than those offered by typical consumer alerting services. Patent #8519860
- VoiceOver: With VoiceOver, a simple set of common gestures are used to control the application
- Follow Me: Weather Radio will alert you if you are in an area when a watch/warning is issued, without you having to do anything
- Friends and Family: Weather Radio can also save up to five fixed locations in addition to your current position
- Audio: Weather Radio provides audio alerts in the form of beeps followed by a brief description of the alert type
- Lightning: With Weather Radio’s $4.99 in-app purchase, you will be voice alerted when lightning is in the area and alerted again when the threat has passed
- Quick Forecast: Access current and forecast weather information for all locations from a single screen
Weather Radio Availability
The latest version of Weather Radio is available now on the App Store for $4.99. Lightning alerting can be added for an additional $4.99 via in-app purchase.
About Weather Decision Technologies, Inc. (WDT)
Weather Decision Technologies, Inc. is the industry leader, providing organizations with weather decision support on a global scale. WDT offers specific expertise with big data as it applies to hazardous weather detection and prediction, forecast modeling, decision analytics, GIS, mobile apps and interactive mapping. WDT employs the world-renowned WeatherOps forecast team, staffed by experts who provide global asset protection and commodities trading decision support. WDT maintains operational offices in Norman, Oklahoma and Houston, Texas.